Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Those Were The Days...

I was in Walmart this morning picking up some things for my aunt that she needed before I went to sit with my grandpa for the day. As I walked around I couldn't help but notice the amount of processed pumpkin pies, pecan pies, pre-cooked turkeys, and the list goes on and on. It reminded me of how a society who used to find joy in the effort it took to make that Thanksgiving Day meal perfect, has now become to grow into a society of convenience .....and I'm sure it will only get worse with each passing year. Is this what we have become?

Whatever happened to the days of slaving in the kitchen prepping a turkey or ham? Or walking into grandmas house and helping her create the American classic pumpkin pie? Have we forgot those days of the past that we found the most happiness in?

I'm sure for some on the holidays they haven't forgot. They still anxiously await each year to walk through the door of their loved ones homes, hear the family gossip, see kids or grandkids running around the house, see the newest addition to the family, meet the new boyfriend or girlfriend, smell the rich aroma of a turkey baking in the oven, see the table covered with food that would be sure to feed a family of one hundred and still have enough left over to feed the same amount of people for two more days, and see people who they haven't seen all year.

I understand convenience, especially with the economy today. I'm sure it's easier to buy a pie in a box or turkey that's already been cooked from your local Bob Evans or Kroger, but where did the fun or love go into making something of our own? What happened to the feeling of joy and happiness to hear people say how good something is, see the smile it puts on their face, or hear people argue with one another because great grandma doesn't want to give up the family secret recipe? You can't and wont ever find that in a box. The only comments I've ever heard out of a store bought pie is, "It's okay for store bought." or "I sure miss a good homemade pie."

If you're fortunate enough to be like me and still enjoy these small treasures that come along with Thanksgiving Day
remember to be thankful that you have these loved ones to share it with and that your family still believes in tradition. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment