Thursday, November 10, 2011

Remembering SFC Daniel Crabtree at PSKC....

"Daniel"



Tonight's Crossfit Hero WOD at Portsmouth Spartan Kettlebell Club, PSKC, was in honor of SFC Daniel Crabtree who was killed in Al Kut, Iraq on Thursday June 8th, 2006. Daniel is survived by his wife Kathy and daughter Mallory.

This WOD was special tonight. It really hit close to home. Daniel was a true born and bread Buckeye, but that's what didn't make tonight's WOD hit close to home. I didn't realize the owner, instructor of PSKC, Dale King, served with Daniel. Tonight, with heavy heart and emotion in his voice and eyes, Dale explained to us that Daniel was killed 30 days before he got his ticket home. When Dale said that sadness instantly came over me and all I could think was 30 days after being there for so long? I could only think of how Daniel was probably counting down the days to getting home to his wife and daughter and the excitement he was probably anxiously awaiting to have them in his arms again. The only way I can relate is counting down the hours at work until I get home to mine, but mine is petty compared to Daniel's. 

When I came home tonight I did some research on SFC Daniel Crabtree. It's always good to do after you sweat it out for a Hero like Daniel was. Here is a link of you should read about Daniel, I encourage you to read it to better understand what kind of man and soldier he was. He was the True American Soldier. http://www.theyhavenames.com/heroes/daniel_crabtree.html There is also several other sites I came across. Daniel was a decorated soldier receiving multiple awards for his acts of bravery and sacrifice. This WOD also meant alot to me because I know two guys I grew up with who are both Green Berets and are still serving. Last I knew one was going off for another four to five month tour. I pray to God he makes it home safe. 

Tonight wasn't about time or weight for me. It was just about going in and doing the WOD. To be honest I was happy to finish to remember SFC Daniel Crabtree. I've done every Hero WOD this week and it's beginning to take it's toll on my body. I barely had enough strength to get out of the bed this morning let alone the energy to sit here and type this blog. But tonight I went into PSKC with a heavy heart, like I have every night this week, held my chest high and suffered for 21min doing the following:

50 Pull-ups
400m Run
21 Thrusters at 65lb
800m Run
21 Thrusters at 65
400m Run
50 Pull-ups

I have to be honest and say it was horrible, but like Dale told me on my first set of thrusters, "Shut the brain off and think about why you're here." Those words were all I needed to hear. It gave me adrenaline like I never had. I finished my first set of thrusters then ran my ass off on the 800m, came back and kicked some thruster ass dishing out a set of 11 reps, catching 3 good breaths, then attacking for the final 10. I ran the last 400m, came back in the compound wrapped my ripped hands around the pullup bar and rep'd out 20 straight. Got my breath and finished them out with 3 sets of 10. The last 10 took everything I had and my hands were destroyed, but it was worth it for a fellow Buckeye who made the ultimate sacrifice. This week has taught me so much about respecting our those who gave their lives so we could live out ours. I am forever in their debt.

In closing I just want to say to everyone at PSKC, you guys are phenomenal. I love the fact we all keep coming back for another dose of medicine to remember those who died for us. Please click on the link and read about Daniel. His parents also opened up and shared their own thoughts about their son. It definitely put tears in my eyes being a parent and made me think how I'd feel if I lost one of my kids. I also just want to say to Dale King. You have no idea what this week has meant to me personally. Thank you. I'm also glad you're back.

No comments:

Post a Comment