Monday, November 7, 2011

Remembering Lt. Michael P. Murphy at PSKC


Today at PSKC for "Mudder Monday" we remembered Navy Seal and Medal of Honor Recipient, Lt. Michael P. Murphy, "Murph." For those of you who aren't familiar with Murph you can click here to read about this hero .....and yes he is a true hero in my opinion. I encourage you to read about Murph. I thought it was only fitting we remembered men like Murph this week seeing how the 11th is Veteran's Day and it's a time to honor our military. I've heard some people say we only remember the fallen on Memorial Day, but honestly I remember our past, present, military men and women everyday. It's because of them we have the freedom we have and it should never go unnoticed, but unfortunately their are those out there that don't want us to remember or support. I've never served in our military but I'm an avid supporter of it. My grandfather dedicated 30 years of his life to it, my dad gave a few years of his and my father-n-law did as well. I also know several individuals who have served and still are. It's under unfortunate circumstances I wasn't able to serve, but that doesn't mean I can't write a blog and support our military now does it? 

So what did we do today at PSKC to remember Murph? Well Murph's favorite WOD of course! Murph had made this WOD and named it "Body Armor", but after his sacrifice on June 25th, 2008 in Afghanistan the Crossfit Community now recognizes this WOD as "Murph." Here is the workout:

1 Mile Run
100 Pullups
200 Pushups
300 Squats
1 Mile Run

This is nasty as nasty can be! Only fitting a SEAL would come up with a mess of nastiness like this. For some of us it was our first time doing this WOD, but for others it was our second. For me it was my first time and I can't set here and type this and say during this WOD that Lt. Michael Murphy wasn't on my mind. I also can't say that guys like Dale King, Trent Hyland, Scott Osborne, and the Grimshaw brothers weren't on my mind either. I didn't just do this WOD for myself I did it for these guys and my family members who have served and friends that still are. Guys who have made the sacrifice. And I'm not talking about the ultimate sacrifice .....I'm just talking about sacrifice in general like leaving your family for months at a time, knowing to yourself, "Hey I might not be coming back." So to all of you guys I have listed, along with all the other men and women serving, when someone tells you that you're a hero..... relish in it, because to many of us you are!

 When the FEAR dog was ready to be fed today, many times I might add, I found strength in thinking about these guys. Guys who have made the sacrifice, left their families, and went and fought a war that I'm not able to, but would tomorrow if it came down to that. Today at the gym was nothing like war, but it was a battle .....a battle against yourself to finish, to stay strong. Thinking about these guys helped me do that. I found much of my strength through these guys, what little I did have left towards the end of the WOD. So here's to you gentleman. Thank you, for doing what you did and are still doing. I will never forget!

So, did I finish? Of course I did! I am of course "The Rabid Grizzly Bear on Meth!" I attacked the WOD and I never quit! Today I slayed Goliath once again and the next WOD I'll do the same. Why? That's just what's in my blood now. It's the attitude I have. There's nothing that's laid before me that I can't find a way through even if I do have to scale it. As far as my time goes ....well if you must know here it is:

Total Exercise Time: 56min 34sec
1 Mile Run w/ 15lb Ruck 9min 30sec
100 Pullups w/ Green Band Assisted
200 Pushups (All Strict, No Knees)
300 Squats (Strict, You Know You Do Them Right When You Can't Feel Your Ass Strict!)
1 Mile Run w/ 15lb Ruck 12min 42sec

Yep it sucked! But the FEAR dog didn't eat and the COURAGE dog was fed well. Once again, thanks to Lt. Michael Murphy and the other gentleman listed. You were all thought about heavily today and I couldn't have finished without any of you in my thoughts. To all the other men and women still fighting today. God bless everyone of you and I hope you get home safe.



No comments:

Post a Comment