Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Remembering Captain Daniel P. Whitten At PSKC

"Whitten"




Tonight I honored another Hero who gave his life for our country. Captain Daniel P. Whitten, who sacrificed his life for family, friends, and country. He made the ultimate sacrifice so people like you and I can live each and every day without the thought of terrorist attacking our nation. Captain Whitten died on February 2nd, 2010 when enemy forces in Zabul, Afghanistan attacked his vehicle with an IED. Whitten is survived by his wife, mother, father, and his sister U.S. Army Captain Sarah Whitten.

I found out what Hero WOD we were going to do earlier this afternoon and I searched the web to better learn the story of Captain Dan Whitten, because for me, I seem to work harder when I know what a person did and what he left behind. What I found out was this and if you click the link, http://www.fallenheroesproject.org/united-states/daniel-p-whitten/, I thought this would explain it best. 

After today I'll never forget Captain Whitten and the sacrifice he made for family and country. This week has taught me that Crossfit is so much more than about working out and beating your body up. It's more than that and if you don't believe it "Google Crossfit Hero WOD's" and look at the number of men and women that the Crossfit Community recognize for their sacrifices. You'll be surprised. It's stuff like this that draws me to Crossfit. I've heard and read, "What do you do besides workout?" Well to tell you, we remember the fallen, support causes like breast cancer awareness, hospice, disposable heroes project, wounded warrior project, Red Cross and the list goes on. Oh and yes, PSKC supports every one of these charities listed. It's more about working out at PSKC. It's about supporting what we cherish most, our community, friends, and family. 

Tonight I made plenty of pain faces, lost a couple pounds of body weight, made my shirt black with sweat, beat my knees up until they were red and bloody, and I'm barely able to walk and I did all this for a man I don't even know, but I made a tiny sacrifice of my own in his honor doing 110 Overhead Kettlebell Swings with a 53lb Kettlebell, 110 Wall Balls with a 20lb Medicine Ball, 110 Burpees, 110 20 inch Box Jumps, and ran 1.25 miles in 50:49, all because this man did more for our country than I could ever do and when it comes down to brass tax, he died for me. Trust me, I wanted to quit, but I thought about that ....he died for me protecting what I cherish most, my country. This week remember that when we honor the fallen. They died for YOU and I swear to it that if you put that in your mind there won't be anything to keep you from finishing!

This week continue to remember the fallen, those who are serving, the wounded, and those who served. We have what we have because of what men and women have sacrificed for over 200 years. To Captain Daniel P. Whitten you will never be forgotten. We've got the watch.....

In closing I just want to put this poem out there for you to think about for the remainder of the week.

Dear Lord,

Lest I Continue,
My Complacent Way,
Help Me To Remember That Somewhere,
Somehow Out There
A Man Died For Me Today.
As Long As There Be War,
I Then Must 
Ask and Answer
Am I Worth Dying For?

No comments:

Post a Comment