Monday, November 21, 2011

What A Relief It Is....

This was the first thought that popped in my head today when I got out of bed. Last week was rough on me both mentally and physically between my grandpa being in the hospital and the death of my wife's aunt. I was also busy. Between work, birthday parties, taking care of my grandpa now that he's home, I was beginning to feel the stress taking its toll on me starting Friday. It got to the point over the weekend where I found myself starting to make bad choices, especially when it came to food. Trust me... You don't want to know what I ate or how much beer I consumed to, what I hoped, would wash away the stress.

That all changed today though when I walked through the doors of PSKC and saw people smiling, telling war stories of Tough Mudder from the weekend, seeing people who I hadn't seen in over a week, and just hearing somebody say, "Grizz!" Thoughts of everything I had to do today quickly subsided and it was time to get rid of the stress PSKC style.

My thirst was definitely quenched today in the hour I spent there. In the beginning I had been addicted to barbells, times, and numbers but that addiction quickly changed within a month to what I mentioned earlier. I mean sure it's still about barbells, times, and numbers but my addiction/love of PSKC is all about the people and the bond we share.

To be honest I didn't even want to come today. I'm exhausted from the weeks previous events, but I needed to hear laughter, weights hitting the mat, screams, and cheers along with seeing smiles, pain faces, and sweat-lined shirts. It's definitely one of the many reasons I enjoy life much more now.

I've heard people say, "My friends tell me I'm addicted to Crossfit." Well I guess in a way we are seeing how Crossfit is a community. I often think about could I have done this on my own? The weight loss, the diet, becoming a more solid minded individual? To simply answer, no, I couldn't have. I'm sure you've heard the infamous quote, "There's strength in numbers!" PSKC proves that beyond a shadow of a doubt. You can't and won't ever find that at your glo-bo gym. I know without these things even if I'd worked out on my own I'd still have the stress I lost today at the gym.

I was also reminded today how thankful I am to have PSKC in my life again. It was relief to focus on performing an Overhead Squat for an hour than having to worry about everything else that's being served up on my plate right now. It's funny how holding weight over top of your head can quickly shut the brain down and force you to hold, squat, and explode. God it felt good....

I'm glad this week is here. I need it now more than ever. I'm grateful I'll be able to make every class this week. PSKC will without a doubt give me the strength I need to get through these hard times..... I have no doubts the negativity will also quickly find itself stuffed back down where it belongs....

It's what actions we choose to take when we find ourselves laying flat on our back to define who we are. Do we choose to lay there and let the bell ring or do we unbury the strength tucked deep inside us and rise to our feet to continue the fight and come out victorious?

This is something I've thought about all week. Find the strength and you'll find happiness... For a brief time today it was found and I'm grateful...

No comments:

Post a Comment