Saturday, October 29, 2011

4-H Community Service

One of our own feeding the hungry

Today was a busy day. Our 4-H club, Feedlot Friends, helped out the hungry at All Saints Episcopal Church for a few hours. We fed over 50 individuals with Marzetti, Salad, Garlic Bread and Cake. It was nice to see the kids with a smile on their face and instill in them how much we need to support those, who do to difficult circumstances, are unable to eat a hot meal. Some of us for the first time in our lives found out what "Giving Back" truly means and it was a great experience for the kids and leaders to be a part of. I can only hope that they learned a lesson today like I did and realize that we should never take for granted having a hot meal on our plates.

I found something else that supports our community and I want to get this out there, as it is truly important! You might have or might not have heard of "Tartan Times" that East High School has started. The program sends bags of food, clothes, household items home with students that need it most every weekend. They also, two times a week during the summer, cook hot meals and send food home to these students. The program was started 3 years ago and they started with supporting 27 kids. To date they now have 179 kids they support. The teacher who runs the program requires her students to do a certain amount of community service every year. My wife and I were nearly brought to tears though when the teacher told us both, "My only goal, my wish, is that it teaches each one of my students to give from the heart." I think is a wish every parent has for their children. This program needs support from our community. Even if your kids don't go to East, even if you don't live in the city of Portsmouth, I urge you to support the cause. After today our 4-H club will be supporting this program accepting canned food donations and other items that you think these families might need. I also urge you, no want you, to contact East High School and find out how to support this program too. If you own a business or work at a business that is big in helping the community then put a box out for donations. I'm sure your boss isn't going to mind and if you do. If they do, in my opinion, you're working for the wrong person. If you know of any other schools in the county that do this type of program contact them too. This is would be a great program to support as it helps out our own.

Proud of my step-daughter for her contribution
I just want to close with one final thought I really want you to think about and that is this. If it was your child, your brother, sister, father, husband, wife, etc. wouldn't you want somebody out there to support them like our 4-H club and East High School is doing? If you even hesitate to answer I'm taking that as a yes. So make an effort. Support those in need!

Audri and Justin Supporting The Cause
I love this picture above. Justin is my nephew and like many kids did today he gave up his Saturday morning cartoons to do some good. Proud of him and all of our kids!



Periodically I'm going to post a Paleo recipe every now and then on this blog for my family at PSKC. Here is my first.

Paleo Pumpkin Pie


Crust
1/2 Cup Macadamia Nuts
1 Cup Pecans
4 Tablespoons Organic Butter(Melted)
Pinch of Sea Salt


Preheat oven to 350. Process the nuts in a food processor until they are a flour like consistency. Place them into a mixing ball and add the melted butter and sea salt. Mix to a thick dough. Spread evenly into a pie pan and bake for 10 minutes.

Filling
15oz can of pumpkin(I used Libby's 100% All Natural Pumpkin)
2 Teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
2 eggs(I use cage free vegetarian fed eggs from a local farmer)
1/2 cup organic honey
1/2 cup coconut milk


Mix all the ingredients together. Pour into the crust after it's baked for 10 minutes. Spread evenly over the crust and bake for another 45 minutes. Enjoy, but most of all be thankful you are able to have something hot to eat. If you have kids involve them in this! Something about getting to mash stuff up with their hands is intriguing!

No comments:

Post a Comment